Culture & Leisure

'Gal-Ron' Summertime Cinema

1952

Tel Aviv
Toulouse St 10, Giva’t HaAliya, Jaffa

The Gal-Ron summertime cinema at Jaffa’s Giva’t HaAliyah was opened in 1952 and was an open amphitheater for screening movies and concerts by the Philharmonic Orchestra during the summer evenings. The area became a popular screening complex and next to the summertime cinema they also built the wintertime Gal-Ron cinema, a cinema house that was active year-around (it is unknown who planned the wintertime cinema).
At the 1950’s-70’s, movie screenings and shows at the open amphitheater were a preferred summer outing and it can be seen that the Belsitzman and Leitersdorf firm was involved in the planning of several such theaters (see the Petach Tikva Oron Amhitheater).
The amphitheater was arranged in an arched sitting scheme which gradually went down an open slope, before an elevated and domed stage. The construction around the stage allows for a quality display of sound and lighting, along with a protection of the viewing screen or the participants of the show on it.
The location was probably active until the beginning of the 1970’s. At the late 1980’s, the structure was demolished, and they built the geriatric home “Neot HaTichon” in its stead.