Community & Administration

The Histadrut Complex, Ra’anana

1950

Ra’anana
Eliezer Yafe St 6

The Ra’anana Histadrut Complex is called that because of the planned intention to physically
concentrate all the Histadrut institutes of the settlement within a 23 acres area at its center. With a
great investment of over a million Israeli Pounds, the plan for the complex was given to the Leitersdorf
and Belsitzman office. The plan was to include structures for different properties of the Histadrut: the
workers’ council house, with 25 rooms as well as a lecture hall; a reading hall and library; a Clalit
Healthcare regional clinic; the workers’ education center (which was later named after its first principal,

J. Bartov); a bank building for “Agricultural Loan and Savings Fund” (which later merged with Bank
HaPoalim); theater and film hall (“Orot” cinema); and the Consumer-Manufacturing Association house
(modeled as HaMashbir LaZarchan in cities). In November 1950 the complex’s cornerstone was laid, with
the actual construction of its buildings only starting about a year later, finishing by its inauguration
ceremony in May 1953 (construction of the education center was completed even earlier, and the film
hall a little later). The Ra’anana Histadrut Complex is in fact the office’s largest project, with both the
masterplan for the complex as well as the individual buildings within it having been planned by the
office.