Culture & Leisure
The People's House, Aseret
The People’s House in the Aseret moshav (previously Bashshit) was built near the end of the 1950’s. It was the cultural center for residents of Aseret and was also enjoyed by residents of other settlements in the Gderot Regional Council.
The building’s plan was typical for other People’s Houses planned by Leitersdorf and Belsitzman in rural settlements. It was a one-floor structure with a 400-seats film theater, a kiosk, and an open foyer with a flat roof and columns, where residents gathered before and after events. The People’s House was used mostly for screening films, showing performances, and marking holidays.
Over the years, the building was neglected, and its physical condition had deteriorated. In the 1980’s, it was closed for activities and was abandoned.
At the beginning of the second decade of the 2000’s, the money as well as the good will required to restore the People’s House were raised. The building’s restoration, performed by the architect firm HQ, was completed in 2014, with the appearance of the original building preserved, even though the building was not categorized for conservation.